TENANT SCREENING AND RENTAL CRITERIA
Thank you for considering one of our locations for your future home. Before you apply to rent please review this rental policy.
I. FAIR HOUSING STATEMENT
- The Community is a fair housing provider and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, familial status, disability, creed, marital status, public assistance, ancestry, and sexual or affectional orientation.
II. APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
- All applicants must be at least 18 years old or older to qualify. Your application must be filled out completely and accurately. An incomplete application may be rejected or not processed. Any misstatements or omissions made on your application, whether or not discovered before you move into the building, is grounds for denial of an application or termination of an existing lease. Information must be legible and verifiable. Your application may be rejected if any requested information (such as an address or employer) on the application is omitted or cannot be verified.
III. BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP
- The relationship between a landlord and tenant is a business relationship. A courteous and businesslike attitude is required from both parties. The Community reserves the right to refuse rental to anyone who is verbally abusive, swears, is disrespectful, makes threats, has been drinking, is argumentative, or in general displays an attitude at the time of the unit showing and application process that causes the Community to believe it would not have a positive business relationship.
- Total combined gross monthly income from all sources must be at least 2.5 times the amount of monthly rent (i.e.: $595 monthly rent x 2.5 = $1,488 gross monthly income) to be approved.
- Income must be verifiable and provided in a written form acceptable to the Community, including (2) current pay stubs, verification of income letter (on company letterhead), a letter of benefit assignments or tax statements of the applicant.
- Examples of income include, without limitation, wages, salaries, tips, social security benefits, retirement, pension or savings accounts, stocks, bonds, child support or alimony payments, unemployment benefits or public assistance.
- Savings account balance must be equal or greater than 6 times the amount of the monthly rent to qualify in lieu of traditional monthly income sources.
V. RENTAL HISTORY
(a) The following items will disqualify you from rental acceptance:
- Any eviction for cause (excluding non-payment of rent) filed against you within the last seven (7) years.
- More than one (1) eviction for nonpayment of rent filed against you within the last two (2) years.
- More than two (2) evictions for nonpayment of rent filed against you within the last seven (7) years.
- Any outstanding balance owed by you to any previous or current landlord.
(b) A negative rental reference or a history of lease violations or broken lease terms (i.e. - late payments, NSF checks, noise complaints, skips, or negative reference) may disqualify you from rental acceptance.
(c) Applicants with no previous rental history may be required to provide a guarantor who meets the income requirements adjusted to five (5) times the amount of monthly rent and credit requirements of the Rental Acceptance Criteria, or furnish additional funds to increase the total security deposit to be equal to one month’s rent.
VI. CREDIT HISTORY
(a) A credit history background check will be performed on all applicants.
(b) The following items may disqualify you from rental acceptance;
- A FICO credit risk score beneath 650.
- Outstanding housing related debt.
- Multiple judgments.
- Any open bankruptcy filings within the past ten (10 years). Bankruptcies that have been discharged are acceptable provided proof of the discharge is furnished.
- Credit history will be weighed in conjunction with all other rental criteria. The Community reserves the right to deny any applicant based solely on a history of any delinquent credit activity (medical expenses and foreclosures are exempt)
(c) Applicants with no or minimal previous credit history may be required to provide a guarantor who meets the income requirements adjusted to five (5) times the amount of monthly rent and credit requirements of the Rental Acceptance Criteria, or furnish additional funds to increase the total security deposit to be equal to one month’s rent.
VII. CRIMINAL HISTORY
- A criminal background check will be performed on all applicants. If residency in current state does not exceed ten (10) years, additional reports from all previous states in which applicant has resided during the last ten (10) years are required.
- Applicants who appear on the Dru Sjodin Sex Offender Registry will be disqualified.
- Open criminal cases will disqualify applicant until final resolution is determined.
VIII. PROPER IDENTIFICATION
- Applicants must have and show a Government Issued Photo Identification of the applicant to verify that the individual signing the application and lease is that person.
Types of Crimes. Subject to the foregoing, convictions and/or open cases for any of the following criminal offenses will be grounds for disqualification based upon the number of years since the date of conviction of the crime:
Felony / Gross Misdemeanor Misdemeanor (# of yrs) (# of years)
Offenses against Property 10 2
Offenses against Animals 3 n/a
Offenses against Persons 15 2
Offenses involving Fraud 5 2
Offenses involving Computers 3 n/a
Offenses involving Family Relations 15 2
Offenses against Government Officials 5 2
Offenses against Public Peace 3 n/a
Offenses involving Gambling 3 n/a
Offenses involving Weapons 10 5
Offenses involving Organized Crime 15 5
Offenses involving Drugs 20 3
Offenses involving Sex 20 5
Offenses involving Alcohol or Vehicles 3 n/a
"Victimless" crimes 3 n/a
IX. APPLICATION FEE
- Payment of the security deposit and a $30 application fee is required at the time you apply for the apartment. One application per adult is required. The apartment will not be held until the security deposit is paid in full. THE APPLICATION FEE IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
- Please fill out the application clearly with blue or black ink only. Be sure to fill out your application thoroughly to insure timely processing.
X. SECURITY DEPOSIT
- When your application is accepted a $200 non-refundable Holding Fee is required If your lease signing will be greater than 3 days. The fee will be applied to the deposit if Lease signing is completed within 2 weeks. If lease is not signed or 1st Month’s rent not paid within 2 weeks the unit will be re rented and you will forfeit the Holding Fee.
- If you are moving in with-in five days of the next month, you will be required to pay that month's rent also. All payments at move-in must be cash or certified funds (money order, certified check, etc.)
- If No animals are allowed on property per the lease - inside or out, including “NO Visiting Animals”
- All applications are processed by Rental History Reports. Please direct all inquiries regarding your file to the following address:
Rental History Reports
701 5th Street South
Hopkins, MN 55343
Telephone (952) 545-3953